Thursday, June 2, 2011

Let there be light!

 Thanks for all the great feedback peoples!  
Decisions made since last time:

1 this piece of furniture will be a bedside table (24" tall (to the table top) x 24" in diameter)

2 it's style will be somewhere between #8 and #9 of the last post, due to the peoples choice (Paul makes the most convincing argument for the style) and the extra storage space it creates (as pointed out by Oscar).

3 the table top will be roughly the same diameter as the bamboo supports. 

4 the table will be also have a built in lamp feature!

Table/lamp of course!

I had been trying to figure out how to take advantage of the natural hollowness to bamboo.  Feeding electrics through a stalk seemed very interesting.  After these decisions where made, some orthographic drawings of the "final" were conceived as well as some possible strap color combination. 

Final v1.0

 

So above are some color options.  I tried to take cues from modern furniture trends.  There is a current styling trend done that combines natural materials with the bright coloring of joinery, cushioning, or support.  I also wanted to use colors intelligently in relation to their "meanings", their relation to light, or their relation to the earth.  

Let me know which number intrigues you the most!

-James

6 comments:

  1. I think 1-10 work pretty well. The color schemes seem simpler and more unified. 1, 5, 6, and 7 might work well. I looks like they'd add brightness to the table without contrasting the bamboo too much.

    Also are you going to do anything with the shape og the lamp shade?

    P.S. This is a pretty cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant narrow down to a particular color, but i can suggest that it just be a solid color. I believe that multiple colors distract or take away from the overall aesthetic or main focus which is the harvested bamboo IMO.

    Also, the color faded one seems to be nice, at least i like the toned down colors as solids, more subtle (deep/vibrant colors may be to overpowering). I dont think its necessary to say the fade is a response to the light coming down, because when the light is turned on it would create a fade effect anyways due to it being washed out some. Two different appearances ( at least what i see in my head).
    1. Light off - solid colors, vibrant or subtle
    2. Light On- natural fade effect, different atmosphere to it.

    hope that makes sense. and to add on to what Graham asks, I am also wondering about the lamp shade. Could it be recycled or old lamp shades? maintaining this idea of sustainability or would it be made out of some bamboo type paper, which i believe exists.

    good stuff btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback guys! Since you both asked, I'm not sure what I am going to do with the lamp shade. I like the idea of using old lamp shades (like Paul suggested), and I think a trip to an antique store/pawn shop/yard sale is in order. It seems a little unnecessary to me to have the lamp shade be something which I have designed, since I am also considering using waist belts for the joinery bands. The idea of using found objects is what is driving the design process.

    Paul, the idea with the color fade is to give a cue, even when the light is off, as to where the light source is deriving from. However, I agree that it is a little overkill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. im really liking any of the color contrasts with the teal/blue and the bamboo. it gives the table a natural but orderly feel.

    I know this sounds crazy but hearing you talk about what to do with the hollow stalks made me think of possibilities with sound. Hollow things make certain noises and there could be a cool interaction when a person runs their fingers around the base.

    -Charles

    ReplyDelete
  5. and check me out man.

    designtanlaundry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete