Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What to do with Dead Bamboo?

Well I'm trying to answer this question.  My backyard has a little bamboo forest.  When I was younger I used to make little swords from the dead bamboo that had fallen to the ground.  Since defeating all of the imaginary Chinese dragons in my backyard, these dead bamboo tree's have for the most part gone unused.
 Backyard Bamboo
 Dead Bamboo

So....I've always wanted to make a piece of furniture that I could use.  Why not a little table?  Annnnd I can use the dead bamboo as material!  Now the design may not be anything innovative. In fact, I've seen designs like this.  My friend Elise made some really cool tables from broken pole vaulting poles.  The point is, I don't really care about being innovative here.  This is about creating!
 Started with this sketch
the process (and yes, table is a verb!)
Which one to choose?
materials harvested!

Love to hear your thoughts!  Which design should I choose.  Give me a number! 

-James

7 comments:

  1. I personally like number nine (9). however i was wondering if the top bundle was necessary and just keep the base bundle. I do not know what the top material is glass? either way, i think if it were possible to either remove the top part or decrease its thickness, it would provide a more airy/light aesthetic which i think reflects the material as structurally solid/sound, but not delicate. also by having the staggered appearance it reminds of the forest from whence it came.

    also, on a different note, do the top concentric circles represent cross sections? or just how the top would look?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thanks elise!

    Paul, the table top material will be the aluminum i still have leftover from the furniture project from second year, haha. The top part is necessary to pin the longer bamboo stalks against it with the strap, but maybe there is a different solution. I agree with you, I should attempt a light aesthetic with that strong feel.

    The top concentric circles are sort of a transparency of the entire piece. Does it need a label as such?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The top concentric circles i guess should be the same width as the tables so they correlate a bit more? like the thing Chris did with his sand clock views that Fenske pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, gotcha. Thanks for the feedback Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with paul, number 9 is awesome. Though I also like 2 from a more practical standpoint. I like the idea of footrests since this seems like a tall sort of table that you would use stools at.

    ReplyDelete
  6. number 10 is interesting because of the potential of the band as a beautiful and delicate accent to the earthy tones of the bamboo, the only problem is that the distribution of the weight is too concentrated on the top so any single push will tip the table.
    on practical terms number 9 is the most efficient, robustness and distribution is equal and there is also the potential to use the void as storage space, in this table the configuration of the colored bands demands a more powerful choice of colors.

    ReplyDelete